Dimitris Merantzas was born in Athens in 1967, where he currently lives and works.
Having studied Lycourgos Stavrakos’ Film and Television School, Merantzas encounters the visual reality in a multitude of ways. He is a special artist commenting on the contemporary human condition by unceasingly creating autonomous groups of work. He freely experiments by constantly updating his expressive instruments and often using heterogeneous materials. He explores with youthful zest the relationship between form and content. Sculpture, painting, installations, constructions, photography and photochemical painting constitute the visual fields of his activity.
Merantzas’ work is included in the State Museum of Contemporary Art, The American College of Greece, Municipal Art Gallery of Chania, Boutaris Wine Company, Dakis Joannou Collection, and Gregory Papadimitriou Collection.
• 2014 “Seeking the Common Ground.” The Blender Gallery, Glyfada.
• 2012 “Extraversion.” Sismanogleio Megaron, Istanbul. Curator: John Bolis. Catalogue.
• 2008 “Art Athina.” In collaboration with Tsatsis Projects / Artforum. Athens.
• 2007 “Visual Arts in Greece.” State Museum of Contemporary Art. Thessaloniki. Curator: Haris Kambouridis. Catalogue.
• 2007 “Affinities. Flowers in Greek Art 1880-2006.” Show room Alpha Bank and National Gallery, Nafplion. Curator: Eleni Kypraios. Catalogue.
• 2006 “Anathena - Project Room.” DESTE Foundation, Athens. Curators: Marina Fokidis and Marina Gioti.